Musings on the role of family in my novellas

I come from a pretty small family. I was an only child, and my parents both lived several hours' drive from their families, so often it was just the three of us. I didn't have very close relationships with my first cousins, even. One set of grandparents lived in Mexico half the year -- the half that included Thanksgiving, my birthday, and Christmas -- so there was always distance there too.

I like to play around with family a lot in my novellas. Sometimes, in the form of an overbearing brother, like in Le Bon Dom.

Sometimes it's creating strong parent/child relationships, like Josephine and Josiah in Salt and Strong Rum.

Josiah is Josephine's only parent who's present. He's raised her, given her a trade in their charter boat business, and is basically all the support she has in the world... until she meets Cliff. And, of course, Josiah is the one to convince her to go after Cliff when she doubts the possibility that she can love and be loved.

In Meet the Fin-Laws (look for it in April from Loose Id) Josephine gets to explore her relationship with her mother a little more, but I'm sort of sad Josiah doesn't make an appearance. I'm sure he will in the third installment of Salt and Strong Rum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt: Meet the Fin-Laws