Thankful for Six Sentence Sunday

In the US, November is always a time to look back and reflect on the year and everything that we are thankful for. Some of us do it because of Thanksgiving, some of us do it to prepare for our Christmas newsletters, and for some the thoughtfulness is prompted by the shortening days and cooler weather.

So today I'd thought I'd come up with a list of six things I'm thankful for when it come to my writing.

  1. I am thankful for all the publishers that have taken a chance on me. I've made it through some very tight times these last two years, and if I hadn't had that little bit of money coming in from my writing, I may not be in the stable place I am today. Sometimes my royalties bought my groceries for a week or two, sometimes they made up the difference on the house note. Needless to say I don't make the sales that some of my cohorts do, but I will never take for granted what comes in at the end of the month or the end of the quarter!
  2. I am thankful for my editors, particularly at Loose Id. I may edit myself, and I may have a MFA in creative writing, but my writing is by no means perfect, and the old adage that a writer is her worst editor has never applied to someone as aptly as it applies to me. In fact, I just got an invitation to revise a story I thought was a pretty solid piece of writing. It put my off my game for a bit. I sulked for a week, but after I realized that making the changes asked for was nothing. No piece of my writing is so precious that I'd rather keep it in a drawer than publish it, so I'm forging ahead -- if slowly -- with the edits. I love that my editor took the time to give me such thorough feedback.
  3. I am thankful for my readers. After all, that grocery money my publishers sent me didn't come out of thin air. I'm grateful for everyone who puts up a few dollars here and there instead of relying on pirate sites, but I'm also thankful to anyone interested in reading my work regardless of where it comes from. I just hope I entertain you and don't disappoint.
  4. I am thankful for my husband who is my proofreader. He even reads my LGBTQ work! He is always available to help me out, and I wouldn't be publishing if it weren't for him.
  5. I am thankful for the technology I have that makes it possible to reach all my readers, fellow writers, and publishers with only a few strikes on the keyboard. The Internet has changed the market in such amazing ways. I probably wouldn't be able to be a part of it otherwise.
  6. Finally, I'm thankful for my day job that keeps a roof of the my head -- most of the time -- and give me the time I need to follow my dream of writing full-time someday.
What are you thankful for? Leave a comment with your email and be entered to win a copy of my 15 November ebook release, Queen's for a Day (M/M BDSM). I'll pick a winner Monday evening, around seven o'clock central time.

Comments

  1. I am thankful for my friends and family and that all bumps in the road seem to be evening out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for my boys who have supported me and even changed part of their diet to help me and even pricked my finger when I could not when I found out I was diabetic. I am thankful for my mom who has been there for me through it all and does not let me stay at home; we go out on Mother/Daughter day all day long on the weekends I am off.

    Jan
    gembrat94@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt: Meet the Fin-Laws

Musings on the role of family in my novellas

Please Welcome Allie Ritch with "Husbandry"!