New Year's Resolutions

New year's resolutions... I used to make them, pretty much like everybody else. Lose some weight, ride my bike places, join roller derby... None of them ever seemed to work out. This year, though, I've decided to set a goal for myself. One I know I can accomplish.

In 2010 -- between January and December -- I wrote five novellas, which ran in the 15 to 30 thousand word range, and a whole bunch of short stories. Let's say that's around 130 thousand words total. What would have happened if I'd spent all my time on one work instead of so many smaller ones? To date, I don't think I've written anything longer than 35 thousand words.

This year, that's going to change, which is why Necessary Roughness will be the last thing you'll see from me for a while, except for a few short stories that I'll try to get out on the side. In the meantime, I'm going to be working on something longer, something more in-depth, something more poignant. Is that a silly goal? Maybe, but I've had some ideas bumping around in my head, and I think I've finally got the discipline to give them the word count they deserve.

So rather than calling this a new year's resolution, let's call it a goal. What goal will you set for yourself in 2011? What will you do that you've never done before? What thing can you do now that your personal growth has gotten you here?

Comments

  1. I wish you luck in your new goal of longer word counts.
    My goal is to keep everything in my life positive. I've let go of negative people in my life in 2010 and I have to say I feel happier and lighter in general. So Staying positive is my Goal for 2011!
    Happy New Year!
    ~Afshan
    Afshan522@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt: Meet the Fin-Laws

Musings on the role of family in my novellas