Oi! I've been such a slacker.

I can totally explain why I haven't posted a blog in a while. Last weekend, I took a trip to Biloxi, Mississippi, to see Elvis Costello, which was really quite awesome. Then Sunday afternoon I had an event to attend.

I guess the main reason I've been reluctant to post is that I got a revise and resubmit this week. Different from a rejection, but still a bit of a sting. Coincidentally this week, I found "The Rejection Queen" blog. There's debate on the Web as to whether this is real or not. I'm not sure if she is doing it to be funny or if she is really that bitter. Some people offered her advice in the comments, and she laughs it off, so I'm thinking it must be something of a satirical farce.

But in response to that, I sort of decided to start talking about some of my own rejections, and how I react to them. I'm not going to "out" the publishers or editors like she does, but I will hopefully give some sound advice in relation to how to deal with rejections.

For instance, in my latest revise and resubmit, the publisher asked that I eliminate one of the points of view in the story. This is a menage story, with two men and a woman. The woman is the main focus. I had felt at the beginning that all three characters needed to have equal say, but when an editor tells me it's not working, I change it. My first instinct was to go with the less dominant of the two men and the woman as my two POVs. He would be the one having an issue entering into a relationship with another man. But then I remembered that the entire point the two men would even consider being together is because of the female protagonist. So now I see that the story would be stronger if I stay in her POV throughout.

Yes, this does mean a huge rewrite -- and cutting many words -- but it also means I can get published. Editors want authors who are willing to grow and change with the demands of an audience and market. I want to write full-time, for a living. That means doing what the editors ask. They hold the key. It doesn't pay to tick them off. Even in the long run, if I make lots of money at this, I pray that I never fall into prima donna writer mode. I shiver at the thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excerpt: Meet the Fin-Laws

Musings on the role of family in my novellas

A Touch of Flame by Caris Roane